8.10.2008

The Ole' Impics

Some Olympic thoughts ...
-I am a complete sucker for any athletic montage, especially Olympic events, set to good tunes (pronounced "chunes").  When I saw the one with Sia's "Breathe Me" in the background, I wanted to cry, do pushups, and write to a Chinese pen-pal all at the same time.
-I'm also a sucker for great Olympic commercials, even if they're obviously manipulating my Olympics emotions to get at my $$.  I like the 'Bron vs. Yao Coke commercial, especially because King James has Santa Claus in his corner.  I also love the AT&T one where the guy is at the Brussels hostel with Slad and Deiter, the techno twins.
-Speaking of Yao, I just realized that the little Asian-sounding ditty playing during his short pre-game bio was Incubus' "Aqueous Transmission," which isn't really Asian at all.  Also, it turns out I really like Yao Ming.  On the few occasions that Yao got the better of Carlos Boozer in the Playoffs a year ago, boy I hated him.  But the 9-year-old earthquake victim in his arms made me a fan.
-Are Craig Sager's usual suits too loud for international events?  I was disappointed by his humble blue polo.  Perhaps the pink checkered tweed number he was planning on was censored by the Chinese.
-If Michael Phelps nabs his eight golds, he should buy Jason Lezak lunch.  For the rest of his life.
-Holy smokes, the U.S. basketball team reminded me of the MonStars in Space Jam.
Now let's see if they can learn to shoot from further than three feet away before their next game.

Blog Archive