2.01.2009

Olio

1) A few days ago at work I saw this Snuggie thing and had some thoughts to share, but now that I've got a free minute to spare/share, I'm a complete blank. I will say this, though: Sometimes I wear my blanket like a lava lava instead of pants (night times around the house). Not my original 
thought, but there you go.

2) This headline has been on Foxsports.com for three days. Dingleberries.

3) I don't even know where to begin with Tyler Perry. Or "House of Payne." Or "Madea Goes to Jail." I would rather bite off one of my own fingers than watch even five minutes of these embarrassments. How did they recruit poor Rudy Huxtable for "Madea," anyway? Cliff and Claire are probably beside themselves. Plus, is there an excuse for Mr. Perry's pretentious habit of titling everything he creates "Tyler Perry's...," like maybe he's afraid Martin Scorsese will somehow get credit for "Madea's Family Reunion?" We get it already, Tyler. I'll bet his family gets really tired of him parading around the house saying, "Don't touch Tyler Perry's sandwich," and "Let's turn on Tyler Perry's TV to watch Tyler Perry's 'Tyler Perry's House of Payne.'"

4) Some "Herald" stuff:

I-15 project still on track (over 1,000 views and a controversial comment to boot!)



5) Latest "Beyond the Universe" entry: 

Go here for the full thing.

Here’s how to have an incredible Super Bowl party: Actually, let me rephrase that, because what follows is bragging, not instructional. Here’s how I had an incredible Super Bowl party:

First of all, my livingroom was made for sports viewing. Not in the way that Lil’ Wayne’s theater room on MTV’s “Cribs” is made for sports viewing. No, mine is the quintessential college pad, complete with thick green carpet that people see and imagine we must be cleaning our house with split pea soup. We have ample enough room, a decent TV, banana chairs, and a separate TV with Blitz 2000 on the Nintentdo 64 (in our recreation of SB XLIII, the Cards won, 44-36). It smells kind of musty and looks kind of dusty, but that’s what you want for ESPN. You want locker room, not breakfast nook. This kind of den is just begging to be stuffed to the gills with friends, food, and noise. And so it was.

We had approximately eleven cubic feet of tortilla chips, including Santitas, Tostitos, and Mission brands. I made my very own salsa (the secret is toasting the tomatoes a bit on a frying pan). I bought barbecue pork rinds and three 2-liters of Wild Cherry Pepsi, grilled up a couple Lea & Perrins worcestershire-soaked steaks, and topped it all off with Ghirardeli’s brownies. And that was just me! We had chicken & waffles, seven-layer dip, fresh-fried mozzarella sticks, gumballs, chili, nachos, donuts, cookies, and more! If life gets better, I’d never know it. I had to brush my teeth with steel wool at the end of it, and I didn’t fall asleep until 5 a.m., but no matter.

Also, there was a football game. I think half the point of surrounding yourself with food, folks and fun on SB day is that when your team loses, life is manageable. The Cards are not my team (I really like Roethlisberger, actually), but I adopted them for the playoffs (like everyone else outside of Pennsylvania). Now, like everyone else, I’ve been rehashing the game for a cumulative 7.5 hours today, and frankly I’m tired of it, so all I will say is this: Kudos to Larry Fitzgerald and Klassy Kurtis Warner. Kudos to Big Ben, James Harrison and Santonio Holmes. Boo zebras. Boo the review that never was, because everybody, and I mean everybody, wanted to see a hail mary attempt, no matter the outcome. Boo prevent defense and commercials (different topic for a different time, but I swear 75% of the people I know could make better ads). The jury is still out on the Boss, but it’s not looking good. All in all, great day of football.

Blog Archive