5.12.2009

Back in the Saddle Again!


This is why my journals (editors note: embarrassingly, Matt first wrote "diaries") are always so short-lived. I get busy for a few weeks, then get behind for some reason or another, and then the OCD lurking somewhere inside me can't stand to skip over the lost time, so I wait and wait and wait for that perfect moment to fill in the gaps. And of course, that moment never comes. So I give up. But Reichmanifesto deserves a better fate, if nothing else because I paid $15 to get the dot com domain name for a year. So to recap, here's what's happened (I'll give a dollar to anyone outside my immediate family that reads all of this, including the links. Come to that, I'll give a dollar to anyone within my family that reads all of this, including the links):

1) I stormed out of the Daily Herald, shouting phrases like "the people have a right to know!" and "journalistic integrity" and "the news never sleeps, so why should we?" Actually, the Daily Herald was 100% awesome, and I miss it. Here are my last stories for UV Weekly:

Adam Pasion
Broke City
AF Symphony: Salute to Youth
Symphony's 50th Season
Lipizzaner Stallions

2) I graduated (I got one single B in my entire BYU career ... until I got all B's my last semester)
3) I moved to New York City (Hey! I'm walkin' heah!)
4) I started my internship for PC Magazine (pcmag.com)

I've also delayed posting the million bajillion things that I've done since I got to NY because I actually haven't snapped a single photo yet. Somehow, the act of uniting my camera battery and battery charger (Two of maybe 12 items currently in my possession out here) at the wall socket is impossible for me. Every time we go do something cool, I reach for my camera and remember that I haven't charged the battery. Sigh. Someday. At any rate, I hate to talk about NY without photos, so I'll steal some from a friends blog, and I hereby resolve to do better at taking the occasional photograph and posting it here. Pinky swear.

Here a few bites from the Big Apple:

So I work for PC Magazine, which doesn't actually publish a printed magazine anymore. It's just PCMag.com now, along with its satellite blogs, including Gearlog.com, Appscout.com, GoodCleanTech.com, and a few others. As an editorial intern, I write for PCMag, Gearlog and Appscout. In no particular order, here's what I've done with my first two weeks at the 'Mag:

PeeWee PC Releases Kid-Friendly Tablet
Paid Search Ads Cash In on Swine Flu Epidemic
Vote for Oodles of Google Doodles
PageTweet: 140 Extra Characters...Sort Of
Star Trek For Non-Trekkies: A Primer (this one got some real mileage)
Google and YouTube Get Hitched
MyDinos Virtual World for Kids: Free Beta Invite! (go to mydinos.com! I'm quoted at the top of the homepage!)
Lyrics iPhone App: Hum Along No More
Famous Twitterers: Celebrities' First Tweets (co-author)
Franz Ferdinand, Allman Brothers Get the Rock Band Treatment
Stanton Turntables Turn Vinyl to Digital
OtterBox Defender Series Cases
Eye-Fi Adds Photobucket, Picasa, and SmugMug Video Uploading

I also manage the new "PCMagafterhours" twitter feed, for the Twitterers among you.

I'll wait to tell you how awesome my building/work area are because I'd prefer to have pictures to go with it. I'll also hold off on my living area (Columbia's International House on 123rd and Riverside). Here are some random NY observations that happen to be floating around in my head right now:

- You can't beat sports for universal fraternity. I've met some great folks here while watching the NBA playoffs. You can always count on a few of us to be in the TV room watching the games each night, and, as in war, friendships forged during series like the Bulls/Celtics just might last forever.
- So far, I've seen (nay, stood mere inches away from) Donald Trump, Tiki Barber, Tyra Banks and the guy who plays Roy on the Office. The Holladay House's expertise in instantly identifying crossover role players from "Lost" and "24" in other shows has given me a sharp eye for celebs and quasi-celebs. Stay tuned for more.
-NY sure has some weird smells. I went to the Bank of America ATM the other day and it smelled like a Subway sandwich with extra vinegar. How about that.
-Here's the thing about NY crowds - I thought I would be miserable here because I absolutely hate crowds. You can't pay me enough to go to Six Flags anymore because I hate everybody there. But folks don't bother me so much here because everybody is doing there own thing. Whereas at the DMV or Six Flags or the mall, everybody is competing with you for the same space during the same activity, the New York streets are crawling with Falafel vendors, bums, high-paid executives, lousy street guitarists and 7,000 other occupations. Somehow, that makes it better. Not that I particularly enjoy stand-up spooning five other Subway passengers on my way to work every day, but it's just not quite as bad as I thought it would be.

More to come. Tell your friends that Reichmanifesto.com is back and New-Yorker than ever.

Blog Archive